Thursday 20 February 2014

Recent events

I submitted my first article for placement. I really hope it's okay and that it gets published. I tried really hard to get it to a standard I was happy with - and which I hope all parties involved will be happy with. It'd be a nice addition to my portfolio (which so far is pretty much non-existent).

I went to see Jake Bugg tonight. He was absolutely incredible. I don't know about anyone else but going to concerts with artists and music I love makes me feel really emotional, although I guess that's the point. It's almost euphoria. You just get lost in the music and before you know it you're up and dancing without even having had a drink, not caring that you probably look like a total idiot. Nobody in my block was even standing up and yet when one of my favourite songs came on - Lightning Bolt - I was up straight away dancing and singing, and slowly but surely most people seemed to join in! Guess there's always got to be someone to jumpstart the party! His voice, his instrumental ability, his songwriting, it was all so incredible. And to top things off he was just a lad from Clifton (where I currently live) and his home city is Nottingham so I empathise with him a great deal. Nobody from Nottingham ever gets famous really, apart from Paul Smith, Torvill and Dean and Robin Hood - and there are many claimants of him... plus he may not even be real! I guess I feel like if he made it, that means I could too. I'm not trying to break into the music industry or anything like that, but it just shows that if you have the talent and the will - in any arena - you can make something of yourself, even if the odds are against you.

Here's the preachy part: I watched a documentary called Gasland and it made me really concerned over the impact fracking will have on the environment and the animals and people who live in that environment. I won't go into it a great deal but people were lighting tap water on fire and there are cancer spikes around those areas due to the carcinogen containing chemicals pumped into the ground in order to release natural gas. It's not even an infinite resource. Instead of guzzling up the fossil fuels we have, we should concentrate on a long-term solution. That's enough ranting but check it out.

Finally, HOUSE OF FRICKIN' CARDS. This show has taken over my life. In a great way. I'm trying to slow myself down because I'm already over halfway through season 2 and I don't want it to end!

P.S. I watched The Walking Dead and it seems to have picked up somewhat after the dismal post-mid-season finale episode. I'm hoping for bigger and better things.

No comments:

Post a Comment